© Copyright 2018
Partition Specialties, Inc.

Website by
Carson Marketing, Inc.

OUR MISSION: PSI aims to be the leading commercial interior specialty contractor in California and Northern Nevada by differentiating itself from its competitors. It does so by offering tailored products and services and by being considered a valued resource and business partner by others in our industry.

Frequently asked questions

about flexible space management and acoustic privacy


Why should we use operable (moveable) partition walls in our spaces?
A: Operable partitions enable multiple concurrent use of a divided space. That is, two separate activities (meetings, training, product displays, special events, etc.) can take place within a larger space that is divided by an "op wall."
What are the primary benefits of flexible, temporary space division via an operable partition?
A: Greater revenue and/or value can be derived from a space that is divided and then used for two or more different activities at the same time. Temporary traffic flow and security can be established with operable partitions. Energy management is enabled by temporarily closing off a space and then shutting off heating, lighting and cooling for that separated space.
Can I get LEED credit by using an operable partition?
A: Yes: enabling multiple concurrent use of a space via temporary and flexible separation supports a smaller overall building foot print. Additional rooms, or even annex buildings, may not be needed if all the occupant's activities can be accommodated in the smaller, flexibly divided space. Also, active energy usage management via temporarily closing off HVAC and lighting for unused space creates a LEED contribution.
What are the requirements for storing the panels of an operable partition when it has been opened?
A: Horizontal operable walls generally require a pocket, or closet like space at one end of an opening. The size varies with the clear opening width and the type of panel used. A vertically operating wall, as provided by our Skyfold system, stores overhead in a recessed area. Its size varies with the clear opening height and type of panel used. Consult your Partition Specialties salesperson for the actual dimensions for either system for your specific application.
Can I obtain electrically operated partitions instead of manually moved panels?
A: Yes you can. Our Modernfold 933E is an electrically operated horizontal operable partition. All of our Skyfold vertically operating walls are fully electronic. Use of electronic partitions enables much greater ease of use by anyone who is occupying the divided space.
What should I especially look for in choosing an operable partition?
A: Ease of use and effectiveness of use are paramount. That means being able to open and close the operable walls quickly and without inordinate effort or special training is important for users. Also, a good operable partition is easy to operate in terms of correctly putting the sound seals in place (at the ends, the tops and the bottoms of the panels). Our Modernfold and Skyfold systems are very user friendly in these regards.
Can I use raised flooring to obtain more effective space management?
A: Yes - absolutely. Our Tate Access Floors facilitate under floor air and wire management. This generally requires less vertical space than handling these things overhead. Energy management is more effectively done via under floor cooling. Air quality in each "breathing zone" is improved, as well. Moreover, above floor space rearrangement flexibility is enhanced by under floor service of electricity and communications wiring which enables quick and easy repositioning of outlets to align with partitions and walls.


Can I get real sound separation with my operable partitions?
A: Yes. Accordion walls, flat panel horizontal walls and vertically operating operable partitions offer a variety of acoustic separation performance characteristics. These are rated in terms of "STC:" Sound Transmission Class. As an example, an STC rating of 51 means that one would likely not hear someone on the other side of the partition who was speaking very loudly. Thus, multiple concurrent use of the side-by-side spaces is achieved without the loss of sound privacy.
Which operable partition offers the best acoustic performance, as measured by the STC rating?
A: The Skyfold Classic Elite provides the best acoustic performance in the business: it carries an STC rating of 57. Because the STC scale is not linear, a rating of 57 is twice as effective at sound transmission loss as a rating of 51.
What about sound absorption to make a divided room quieter?
A: This is measured via the "NRC," or Noise Reduction Coefficient for the partition. Generally, the partition panels are perforated under the covering fabric to enable sound to be "captured" within the panels. NRC performance varies by operable partition manufacturer and model. Both Modernfold and Skyfold offer good NRC performance.
Can I get good STC and NRC performance together with one operable partition system?
A: Yes. The Skyfold Classic NR provides a high NRC performance of 0.65 (65% absorption) along with an excellent STC rating of 50 - a tremendous combination and value.


Can I obtain operable partitions that enable natural light to flow between separated areas?
A: Yes. Our Modernfold Moveo system; Skyfold Mirage systems; LaCantina folding door systems; and the Klein folding and sliding door systems are all available with glass panels.
Can I get a glass wall system that carries an STC rating?
A: Yes. The Moveo system's glass panels carry an STC rating of 45 - a very effective acoustic separation performance. And, these panels can have built in mini-blinds for privacy.
Does the use of glass partition systems provide LEED credits?
A: Yes. A number of credits are associated with the transmission of natural light into occupied spaces.
Can I obtain glass partition systems that will work as exterior partition walls?
A: Yes. The most effective in terms of weather proofing, acoustics and ease of use is the Skyfold Mirage XT. We also provide LaCantina systems that separate the interior from the exterior, while allowing easy opening when desired.